Ballinger, an award-winning, national architecture and engineering firm with a strong commitment to design excellence, is seeking a Lab Planner to join our team. As Lab Planner, you will be responsible for assisting the laboratory project planning and documentation effort toward the successful completion of complex academic, healthcare and corporate facility projects: communicating with clients/user groups to understand project requirements and providing overall programming, master planning, lab design and documentation for these projects.
• Provide advanced technical knowledge in the laboratory planning and programming of various-sized, academic science teaching and research, healthcare, and pharmaceutical facilities.
• Provide technical planning expertise for laboratory facilities in the areas of programming, design, fit-out planning, equipment planning, MEP systems integration, casework specifications and construction administration.
• Development of project scope, plan, and services during the contract process.
• Develop a comprehensive understanding of clients’ program requirements and standards, and anticipate and develop solutions to technical and design problems following established standards.
• Communicate planning concepts into comprehensible terms for clients, designers and project team members, both verbally and through graphic and written communication. Interact with design architects and engineers as part of an integrated, collaborative design team.
• Develop architectural drawings and specifications to communicate planning concepts for project documentation and construction. Prepare and modify architectural construction documents.
• Apply proper QA/QC methods throughout projects.
• Incorporate Integrated Sustainable Design solutions into projects.
• Mentor and direct the work of less experienced staff, participate in professional development reviews and “Lessons Learned” sessions.
• Actively seek new knowledge in the design and planning of laboratories within technical facilities.
• Lead project meetings and presentations; ensure client is adequately briefed on project progress.
• Actively participate in industry associations to ensure visibility.
Desired Skills and Experience
• Bachelor or Master of Architecture required.
• Seven to ten years of progressive experience focused on programming/planning/documentation of all phases of a variety of laboratory types such as: vivarium, research, teaching (science and engineering), healthcare and pharmaceutical facilities.
• Architecture license required.
• LEED AP preferred.
• Knowledge of technical and regulatory requirements for laboratory design.
• Knowledge of laboratory programming delivery and how design impacts space, operational, and equipment programming, as well as MEP systems and casework.
• Knowledge of laboratory construction documentation, construction administration and project construction cost control.
• Knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
• Proficiency in Revit preferred.
• Excellent communication skills and comfort in the client environment.
• Ability to work in team environment.
• Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
At Ballinger, we understand that our employees work hard but also seek good work/life balance. We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or Ballinger, Attn: Human Resources, 833 Chestnut St., Suite 1400, Philadelphia PA 19107;