The AIA (American Institute of Architects) Bookstore is an iconic Philadelphia retail destination. It is a gift and book shop with unique architectural, design, and Philadelphia themed items. The General Manager / Buyer will report to the Executive Director of AIA Philadelphia and the Finance Committee. A successful candidate for this position must possess proven successful experience and talents in the following areas:
• Exceptional Retail Management Skills
• Profitable Retail Buying and Inventory Management Skills
• Dynamic Visual Merchandising Skills
• Strong Interpersonal Communication Skills
• A Passion for Design and the Built Environment
Core Responsibilities Include:
Management & Operations
• Manage and plan all aspects of retail division including the store, e-commerce shop, special event sales, and any off site venue sales. Oversee all retail floor operations, including floor staff coverage, cash handling, daily opening and closing procedures, product merchandising, display merchandising and daily maintenance and cleaning.
• Develop procedure and policy manuals for retail operations for the store. Update, edit and maintain manuals as needed.
• Maintain, update and utilize the POS system (Anthology and MerchantOS) to accurately and profitably control inventory and meet sales needs.
• Responsible for all store-selling supplies including: reorders, inventory, and new supplier sourcing.
• Maintains store’s physical condition and appearance. Ensures the security of inventory, assets and personnel.
• Create annual budgets including sales projections and operational expenses.
• Develop weekly and monthly sales goals. Regularly reviews sales reports, analyzes sales trends and adjusts inventory and purchasing accordingly.
• Prepare and distribute monthly, quarterly and annual sales performance reports to senior staff including YTD profit loss statement, category sales analysis, open-to-buy planning and marketing plans. Present retail performance report to Finance Committee as needed.
• Review all merchandise receiving reports and approve invoices for payment in timely fashion. Works with finance manager to resolve any outstanding issues.
• Manage and supervise retail sales team. Interview, hire and train all support staff.
• Train and supervise staff on merchandise receipt, pricing and restocking procedures.
• Establish staff work schedule (weekly & monthly) and work responsibilities (product section assignment, restocking, visual display, etc).
• Prepare and present annual employee evaluations.
Merchandising and Inventory Management
• Responsible for all merchandise purchasing including all open-market and custom product development, and special event sales.
• Responsible for open-to-buy (OTB) budget management, product sourcing, procurement, merchandising, inventory control, returns, markdowns and shrinkage control. Attend related product trade shows to source products representative of AIA mission, design focus and customer market purchasing interests.
• Meet with sales reps and negotiate purchasing incentives such as delayed billing, additional discounts, co-op advertising dollars and in-store events and product exclusivity.
• Coordinate all necessary inventories for special events, product demonstrations and author appearances. Supervise the return and credit of unsold merchandise.
• Plan and implement seasonal merchandising themes. Develop and install all store interior and window displays
• In conjunction with the marketing department, develop and manage all retail advertising, marketing and special promotions. Plan and coordinate special events with other related departments.
• Supervise all merchandise processing, including tagging, stocking and display. Follow-up on all damages and wrong shipments. Return or apply for credit as indicated. Process paperwork through to completion.
• Coordinate and supervise merchandise returns with retail staff. Pull stock, pack and ship for returns. Create return invoice and process paperwork through to completion.
• Plan, schedule and supervise annual physical inventory.
Interested applicants should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.